A Green County toddler has died as the result of an apparent E. coli infection this week.
According to reports, the 20-month-old girl died Sunday, September 11, at the UW Children’s Hospital in Madison after spending about a week there. She was being treated for an E. coli infection and officials are saying her infection was part of a larger outbreak in her county.
In total, nine people from Green County have been sickened by E. coli in the past few weeks and the local and state health department are working to identify a common source.
E. coli is a bacteria found in the lower intestines of humans and animals and can also be found in fecal matter from humans and animals. Symptoms of E. coli infections are often mild to severe diarrhea and abdominal cramping. In extreme cases, infections from E. coli can cause death.
Usually, if E.coli outbreaks are traced back to a commercially-available food, that food is recalled. The outbreak, at this moment, seems to only have affected people in southwestern Wisconsin. It began in mid-August and the last reported case was early September.
If you or your loved one has been seriously injured or you loved one has died after an infection with a food-borne illness, you may have a personal injury claim. Our team holds the record for the largest food-borne illness case award in Wisconsin and we can put our expertise to fight for you. Our team is compassionate, caring and aggressive and will make sure you receive the best outcome for your case. Contact us for your free, initial case evaluation.
We are working and are available to discuss your case with you. Learn about our easy REMOTE intake process.