5 Myths About Motorcycle Helmet Safety
Motorcycle helmets save lives, but some enthusiasts believe they cause more harm than good. According to theNational Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the following myths are not only untrue, but also dangerous to accept and implement.
- Myth – Motorcycle helmets cause neck pain and spinal injuries. An Illinois study found that motorcycle helmets actually decrease these injuries, and do not create a higher possibility of neck / back damage.
- Myth –Wearing a motorcycle helmet can impede your hearing and vision. According to research, peripheral vision for the average person is between 200 and 220 degrees. Federal safety standards require helmets to provide 210 degrees of vision. Additionally, the vast majority of traffic accidents (more than 90%) occur within 160 degrees.
- Myth –The Constitution doesn’t support motorcycle helmet laws. In fact, more than 25 states have upheld motorcycle helmet laws in their highest courts, and the United States Supreme Court affirmed the Massachusetts motorcycle helmet law.
- Myth –Studies show fatality rates are lower in states without motorcycle helmet laws. This argument is based on faulty logic. Other circumstances, like population, weather, and road conditions contribute to fatality rates. Instead of comparing statistics between states, researchers should compare motorcycle fatality rates across multiple years within the same state – specifically the years before and after the law is implemented.
- Myth –Motorcyclists make up such a small percentage of vehicles on the road, it’s unreasonable to make laws about helmet use. Statistics show that motorcycles make up no more than 2% of registered vehicles on American roadways. Unfortunately, motorcyclist fatalities account for 5% of traffic collision deaths in the United States. Thus, motorcycle safety is a serious concern for motorcyclists and other drivers.
Your Rights as an Injured Motorcyclist
Safety restrictions and good judgment can’t always protect your from driver negligence. If you suffered an injury in a motorcycle accident, the Milwaukee personal injury and motorcycle accident lawyers at Cannon & Dunphy S.C. can help you secure the compensation you need and deserve. Contact our office today to learn more about your rights and options with us.